Friday, January 30, 2009

Failed Ideas In Blogging

Every new blog has bad ideas every so often...granted, so do longstanding blogs. Bad ideas are a part of everything, especially marketing and advertising.

I wanted to start doing a weekly marketing/business podcast review, most likely posting every Friday. Looking through iTunes, it is true that there are quite a few marketing style podcasts, but other than a few, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing reviews of them. I'm not going to name any names, but most of them were not even close to on topic to what the podcast claimed it was.

Of course there are podcasts from commercial entities like Business Weekly, New York Times, etc, those are pretty much going to be on topic. I realize that marketing and advertising are a tremendously broad genre, but then again, so is music, or computers, or most of what podcasts are created about. Why does the business community have to be so fragmented in regards to podcasting? There are hundreds of awesome blogs or newsletter sites about these topics, but podcasting seems to be elusive, at least from what I was able to find. I realize that iTunes is no longer the be all end all of the podcasting community, but poking around anywhere else isn't likely to get me much other information with such broad search terms.

I suppose that having a failed idea is going to happen occasionally. I've had them happen in many other parts of my life, and I'm sure you have too. The key is to pick yourself up and keep going, and maybe coming at the failed idea from another angle will one day result in success. Maybe one day there will be some podcast reviews in my blog...in fact, I'll pretty much say there WILL be at some point. In the meantime, I'll be going back to doing what many of the above podcasters were/are doing...having a forum for talking about a particular subject, and then only really half paying attention to said subject. If you can't beat em, join em, right?

Thanks for reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment