Thursday, June 4, 2009

Know When Not To

I'm definitely not breaking any new ground here...but this is something that needs to be said every so often.

Everything you're taught when you are learning ANYTHING, not just marketing or advertising, is to help you figure out what and when things need to be done.

What you aren't taught is NOT doing. These days too much emphasis is placed on putting out as much as possible as often as possible, no matter what.

Sometimes its better to not do something. I've been living that idea with this blog lately, because I've been trying to post something for weeks now, and I hate almost everything I come up with - therefore I don't post it, because I know not to - I have standards and a quality level in mind in regards to this blog, and I haven't been meeting it lately.

If you don't hear from me as often as you should - its because I know when NOT to talk. I do know when TO talk, but knowing NOT to talk is just as important.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark! Interesting perspective :) I've noticed that complilations and collections are VERY popular. You may want to put together a few of those. Some that I've seen recently were best lightning photos, orange websites, inspiring sunsets, etc... Seems like it'd be fun to do and could drive traffic to your blog. Maybe do one for the Blellow blog :P Take care!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandi - thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it. Yeah, compilations are very popular, they add when done on special occasions, like Social Media 101's Friday Five, etc.

    What I really meant was being able to read a post and objectively know that its not ready, or its not even worth finishing, maybe combine it instead. Just because I have a blog doesn't mean I have to post on it. If I EVER post something just to post something, expect to see a resignation post shortly thereafter.

    ReplyDelete